Aquaponics is a self-balanced biological system, a combination of a fish tank and hydroponics.
The system contains four main components, each complements and helps the other:
- Fish in the tank produce nitrogenous compounds
- Bacteria in the growing medium transform those compounds into a form needed by plants
- Plants, growing on the medium, consume their nutrients and clean water
- Water flow transfers nutrients to the plants while clean water and oxygen is transferred to the fish
An aquaponic system can replace an aquarium filter and air pump together with much better results.
Fish in an aquaponic system are healthier, live longer and require less care. Even wild-caught fish live for years!
Plants in an aquaponic system never need watering or fertilizer. Growing medium never needs replacement.
The system includes:
- Wooden stand made from sustainable spruce, oil stained
- Two food grade plastic planters
- Aquarium pump
- Siphon assembly
- Water exchange and safety drain parts
- FISH TANK IS NOT INCLUDED
The system features
- An option to use an existing aquarium
- Robust and reliable siphon with easily adjustable water level in grow-beds, easy to maintain, clean and replace
- Safety drain to prevent planters overflow
- Low-wattage, efficient aquarium pump
- Light and reliable stand, made of whole wood
The system dimensions (including planters):16" x 27" x 29.5" height.
The stand dimensions: 16" x 27" x 24" height.
The planter dimensions: 15" x 12" x 5.5" height.
The space available for an aquarium: 14" x 24" x 15" height.
In a case of an aquarium with volume less then 10 gallons, an additional sump pan is required. The pan's dimensions: 9" x 13" x 6".
The next common aquarium sizes can fit into the system:
Volume in Gallons
Dimensions in Inches
(L x W x H)
Sump pan required?
|2.5 Mini Tank||12 x 6 x 8||Yes|
|5.5||16 x 8 x 10||Yes|
|10||20 x 10 x 12||No|
|15||24 x 12 x 12||No|
|20 High||24 x 12 x 16||No|
Home Aquaponic System
- Product Code: wwf-as
- Availability: In Stock